Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Moo Shu Veggie Tofu



I’ve gained five pounds since coming home from my MFA residency. There are so many sources of blame, but the most likely factor is my horrendously weak willpower coupled with an undying love of Chinese food. No kidding, last night I was on the phone with my best friend since elementary school and I noticed a crumpled piece of paper on the floor. It was the fortune from a fortune cookie.

My metabolism started to slow after I turned 29. I’m 31 now and can’t seem to eat at the same pace I once did without needing to purchase terrifying undergarments made of spandex.

This aggression will not stand.

Tonight I learned that I can make my own Chinese-inspired food in the same amount of time it takes to wait for the delivery dude. My homemade meal comes with lots of fiber and protein – but no fortune cookie.

Serves: 4

What you need:
1 cup quinoa cooked with one teaspoon minced garlic
1 package tofu, cubed
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
8 teaspoons hoisin sauce

What to do:
Cook quinoa and garlic according to package directions. Saute the tofu in sesame oil on medium heat. Add mushrooms once the tofu firms up (after about five minutes). Add broccoli, carrots, red pepper, and onion once the mushrooms soften. Add soy sauce and saute until everything cooks, but stays crunchy. Add scallions a minute before turning off the heat. Divide everything into four bowls and serve on top of 1/3 cup quinoa. (I save the leftover quinoa to add to soups, stews, or salads.)

Top each bowl with two teaspoons hoisin sauce and toss until mixed. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment