Monday, February 22, 2010

Woman's Seed Savory Granola


Please excuse my super geeky title that alludes to Paradise Lost. I've had my nose buried in Milton's poem for the past three months and now it seems only "fit" that I name a recipe after my favorite bad-girl gardener.

If you've not read Paradise Lost, I apologize for my momentary lapse into social awkardness -- and for outing myself as a Milton-loving-vegan-English-graduate student. (I know, how original.)

Woman's Seed Savory Granola fuels my immodest appetite while I write, read, and write some more. A delightful cinnamon-chili powder spice mix makes this granola the greatest snack since sin.

What you'll need:
3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, unsalted
1/4 cup unhulled sesame seeds
4 tbsp brown rice syrup
1 or 2 tbsp(s) cinnamon
1 tbsp chili powder
a smidgen of coconut oil or safflower oil

What to do:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 in. baking dish. Pour in the oatmeal. Then add 2 tbsp brown rice syrup. Use two flatware tablespoons to toss the oatmeal into the syrup, until everything coats nice and glossy. Pour in the sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds. Add 1 more tbsp of syrup and toss some more until well mixed. Add spices with the remaining syrup and mix again.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes depending on your oven.

BTW: Eat as an in-between meal snack, or while reading Paradise Lost, Areopagitica, Tetrachordon, The Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce, and De Doctrina Christiana.

2 comments:

  1. Where does one find brown rice syrup? Might this be an OWB purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OWB -- I bought mine at New Leaf in Monroe.

    ReplyDelete