Thursday, February 11, 2010

Practically Paella


I ate my first
paella my junior year of college, after my roommate returned from her Madrid study abroad, from which she schlepped bags of saffron and rice back to our apartment in Syracuse, N.Y.

We entered college as vegetarians -- and bonded at 18 over our shared scorn for eating anything "that had a face" -- but we eventually lost our veggie v-cards to travels abroad; it takes a monastic level of discipline for an inexperienced vegetarian to practice meat-abstinence when faced with the unpredictable and diverse food of carnivorous cultures. (The free-flowing alcohol doesn't help matters much, either).

Although it kills me to own up to my past, I should disclose that I once ate a bunny in Crete, devoured haggis on the isle of Arran, and licked my plate clean in Paris after downing the best Salade Nicoise I have ever tasted.

Traditional paella hails from Valencia and does not conform to vegan standards. VeganforEveryone loves a challenge, hence "Practically Paella."

What you need:
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 orange bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 packaged button mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (low sodium and organic preferred)
1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
1 bag frozen peas, thawed
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
a few springs parsley and dill, finely chopped
1 tbsp. curry or turmeric (a much cheaper alternative to saffron)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup brown or wild rice (or a combination)

What to do:
Cook rice according to package directions. Saute the peppers, onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a wok or large pan that has a lid. Add peas and spinach once the veggies cook. Then add the artichokes, tomatoes, curry/turmeric, and herbs. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
Serve over rice.

Btw: I served "Practically Paella" with side dishes of baked beets and tangerines.

No comments:

Post a Comment