Sunday, January 24, 2010

Slow-Cooker Coconut Chickpea Stew


A few months ago, Carl and I stayed at the home of his friend, who lives on a small farm in Jackson, Miss. For dinner, he (or his wife) made a most amazing stew that featured peppers from their garden, chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk.

When we returned to Louisiana, I tried to figure the recipe out for myself. This stew, which I served to a friend on Friday night, represents my second attempt. Carl suggested that I add more coconut milk the next time, but I might add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil instead.

Either way, this meal takes no time to put together, and the slow-cooker does all the hard work for you. Serve over brown or wild rice, and add a spinach salad to the table. Your guests will love you.

What You Need:
2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (or one 28 oz. can)
1 19 oz. can coconut milk
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
1 onion, chopped (I used Vidalia)
6 chipotle chili peppers, dried
a few cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup of hot water

What To Do:
Place the chipotles in a bowl and cover with hot water; let sit for about 30 minutes
Snip the chipotles with a pair of kitchen shears, save the water
Combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk, jalapenos, garlic and chipotles in a slow cooker.
Add the reserved water.
Add more water, just enough to cover everything
Cook on high for 7 hours, or until the liquids have thickened.
Serve over rice.



1 comment:

  1. I definitely love you all the more for this dish! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete