Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles


Carl slept in this morning and I, of course, woke before sunrise. Not wanting to wake him from precious slumber, I exiled myself to the playroom (aka "our kitchen") and explored vegan candy-making.

I found this recipe for chocolate pumpkin truffles here: http://blog.easyaspierecipes.com/2009/10/at-lastpumpkin-truffles.html. Oh, I added a bit more cinnamon because I love it. To veganize, I substituted agave nectar for honey. (The bees can thank me later.)

Btw: The pumpkin taste is a bit overwhelming if you're the kind of person who likes, but does not love, pumpkin. Next time (and there will be a next time) I plan to add 1/2 cup of finely ground dates to the batter.

What you need for the truffles:
8 oz. unsweetened baker's chocolate
1 can pumpkin
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup water

What to do:
Place the chocolate into a mixing bowl.
Use a spatula to scrape the pumpkin into a small pot, and cook over medium heat.
Add the spices, agave nectar, water and stir.
Cover with a lid for a few minutes, until everything starts to bubble (not a rolling boil).
When the pumpkin mixture bubbles, pour it over the chocolate.
Cover the mixing bowl with a kitchen towel or linen napkin.
After two minutes, whisk as fast as you can, until the chocolate melts and blends with the pumpkin.
Cover and refrigerate for about four hours.

While you wait:
Chop a few handfuls of nuts (any kind you like) in a food processor (I used a mini-processor because I hate the clunk-factor of a regular one).
Pour the nuts into a small bowl.
Mix 1 tbsp. cinnamon with 1 tbsp. chili powder with 1 tbsp. cocoa powder in another bowl.
Layer wax paper or parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.

When the truffle batter has chilled:
Use a spoon to scoop the batter.
Roll the batter in the palm of your hands to form a small ball.
Roll the ball in the spice or nut mixture (I alternated).
Place the ball on the cookie sheet.
Chill and store the truffles in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. So, mine look nothing like this and are more like lumpy balls of fail. Not sure why they aren't sticking together. My measurements and ingredients were exact. All I can guess is that perhaps I need to add a flour component and somehow bake these...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete