Monday, April 5, 2010

Citrus Avocado Spinach Salad


Now is the time of year when I like to remind my relatives, who live in The North, that I spent the weekend in shorts and flip-flops. But as I am breaking out the sunscreen, I am also beginning to avoid the oven.

We live in an old house with a suitably persnickety temperament; our air conditioning refuses to wage battle with the oven which, when switched on, will rapidly heat the kitchen to sauna-like conditions. So for us, "spring" often translates to "salads."

Citrus Avocado Spinach Salad, which I know I promised more than a week ago (that makes it taste better), accomplishes two goals. One, the oven remains untouched. Two, if you (like me) spend the early days of spring humming "Dayenu" and fantasizing about the perfect haroset, this salad contains no chometz.

What you need:
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, finely minced
6 oz. spinach
1 avocado
1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into cute chunks
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds

What to do:
Whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice. Pour the spinach into a pretty bowl. Use a small flatware spoon to scoop pieces of avocado onto the spinach. Add grapefruit, shallots, and pumpkin seeds. Add dressing and toss with your hands (for added fun).

Btw: Using your hands to toss everything helps keep the avocado from getting mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment